|Scarborough Borough Bowling Club was
founded in 1905. It is the oldest surviving crown green club
on Yorkshire's east coast and its green on Manor Road,
opened in 1902, is the oldest of its kind in the area.
Measuring 46 by 36 yards, with an original crown of eight inches, Manor Road green was laid down by Scarborough Council on Council land. Ever since 1905 the Club has been sole tenant of the Council, so that the bowling green and its surrounding gardens and seats are open to the general public, not just to the members.
The Borough is one of nine clubs in Yorkshire's East Coast Association. There are two others in Scarborough, one each in Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay and Hunmanby, and three in Bridlington. The Association determines league fixtures, open merits and inter club competitions. Every year the Borough enters a team for the Yorkshire Cup. A century ago the Borough fielded one team, today it has a dozen playing afternoons and evenings during the summer.
Sunday's have become the busiest for merits and competitions in winter as well as during the summer season. Weather permitting; the green is open throughout the whole year.
It took many years for the Borough to be able to offer trophies of every kind for every occasion, but thanks to the generosity of generations of members and their widows who gave their name to them, the Club now has as many as it has opportunities to contest them. After Potter's (1920), came John Malton's (1938), Foxton's (1965), Hutchinson's (1966), Russell's (1982), Tyne's (1984), Webb's (1987), Miller's (1995), Maltby's (1995), Nalton's (1995), Kings (2004), and finally Wally Day's (2004). The long list is a credit to them and to the Club they served.
Twenty years ago the Club raised enough money to build a new, spacious, modern pavilion. Our well-appointed kitchen and lady volunteers who work there have become an essential source of Club revenue.
The Club has kept pace with the times: as long ago as 1974, ladies were admitted to full, equal membership; in 1993, the management committee welcomed its first female member; and since then five ladies have served as one-year presidents